Gamecocks Keep Coming: SEC Week 10 Power Rankings
Georgia 23, Florida 20….and….er…..nothing else in the SEC was really that interesting or that close.
1) ALABAMA: Nick Saban filled Bryant-Denny stadium on Saturday by telling the fans that he wanted the fans for all four quarters against BYE WEEK. Alabama won 57-3, and Nick Saban is said to be STILL screaming at Kirby Smart about it….
2) AUBURN: Continued to prove that they can get over a potential upset hurdle (Phil Steele predicted that Arkansas would score the upset on the ESPNU College Football podcast (although we didn’t agree), but burning some pig on Saturday night. The biggest argument happened when Arkansas coach Bret Bielema thought Anthony Swain was timewasting by falling over during an Arkansas drive. Matt Millen of ESPN agreed. Malzahn didn’t agree. . It came out that Swain had a bruised knee. Auburn won the pissing contest 35-17. Auburn’s rolling, people. Look out Georgia.
3) SOUTH CAROLINA: STOP. THE. PRESS. SOUTH CAROLINA ACTUALLY MANAGED TO CLOSE A GAME OUT. I say that in capitals, because it’s rarely happened this season. Sure, they lost the fourth quarter 6-0, but they were already 34-10 up at that stage, and played really, really well. Mike Davis ran for his usual 100 yards. If he’s not up for a Heisman….then he should be. Carolina’s playing with confidence, and y’all should be worried.
4) MISSOURI: Clouted Tennessee 31-3 to assure everyone that a) The Volunteers weren’t on the comeback trail and b) Missouri’s one hell of a team and c) If everyone thinks they will stumble against Ole Miss and Texas A&M after shooting themselves in the foot against South Carolina, they’ve got another thing coming.
5) TEXAS A&M: A truly horrible first quarter….and then the Aggies blew UTEP away, winning out 57-7 and more importantly, covering the spread. That’s all we really have to say about that game.
6) GEORGIA: NEWSFLASH FROM JACKSONVILLE: The Georgia and Florida players are STILL chipping away at each other….and it’s Monday, despite all the fans having gone home. Seriously though, UGA showed how good they were on offense with the return of Todd Gurley and Michael Bennett in beating their hated rivals Florida 23-20. The defense could still do with a lot of work, though. Todd Grantham’s still on the hot-seat.
7) OLE MISS: Hugh Freeze has scared the crap out of the fans by going 2-1 on heartbreaking victories/losses this season already, but now he’s scaring the crap out of his players. And there was me thinking evangelicals thought Hallowe’en was evil.
8) LSU: If LSU beats Alabama on Saturday, it’s because the team didn’t sleepwalk a half of a game, like they did against Furman and Ole Miss. They also win because Zach Mettenberger is back to not throwing touchdowns and back to making good decisions. And because Odell Beckham and Jarvis Landry scared the hell out of the Alabama secondary, and that Jeremy Hill managed to run the ball. And the ‘D’ actually stopped someone.
9) FLORIDA: If Will Muschamp is put to rest at the end of the 2013 season, his gravestone will read: “WILL MUSCHAMP: COULD NOT WIN AT A COCKTAIL PARTY”. He’s 0-3 against Georgia as a coach in Jacksonville, and 0-4 as a player FOR Georgia in Jacksonville. He’s not the only person who can’t win in Jacksonville. How ’bout dem Jags??
10) VANDERBILT: Nothing has changed since Vandy’s bye week, in the fact that I still believe Jordan Matthews is great, that the team’s struggling without Austyn Carta-Samuels…..and that the team has gone backwards since Week 1- even though the Commodores beat Georgia in Week 9.
11) TENNESSEE: Freshman QB went 26-42 with 246 yards in his debut against Tennessee. And 2 INTs. And lost a fumble. And the team went 2-for-13 on third downs. It was always going to be hard in Columbia. So this wasn’t a great surprise.
12) MISSISSIPPI STATE: Despite putting up more yards than South Carolina (385-304), having more time of possession, and only losing the rushing game by 10 yards, the Bulldogs came out of Williams-Brice with the ‘L’. That’ll be because they had one….two….three….four….FIVE turnovers. That’ll lose you a ballgame right there.
13) KENTUCKY: Kentucky’s 48-14 victory over Alabama State has us believing that the ‘O-Fer Bowl’ between Arkansas and Kentucky should be played on the same day as the SEC Championship Game (at 12.21pm). A good win for Coach Stoops, albeit against a far-inferior opponent….who we tipped to cover (sorry y’all!).
14) ARKANSAS: I’m getting allergic to bacon just watching these Razorbacks get eaten this season.
Tagged with: Alabama • Arkansas • Auburn • Florida • Georgia • Kentucky • LSU • Mississippi State • Missouri • Ole Miss • Predictions • SEC • SEC East • SEC West • South Carolina • Tennessee • Texas A&M • Vanderbilt
Like this post? Subscribe to my RSS feed and get loads more!